The hotel is located on Mackinac Island, a small island between Michigan's Upper and Lower Peninsulas. The Island has a lot of interesting history, which is preserved in its state parks. In the late 19th century, Mackinac Island became a popular summer tourist attraction. It is well known for its festivals, architecture, its fudge, and its ban on almost all motor vehicles. Cars are not permitted on Mackinac Island, so you are going back in time where the main means of transportation are bicycles and horse-drawn carriages. A ferry boat must be taken to reach Mackinac Island.
Mackinac Island Fudge Festival: August 28-30
Fudge Festival Cornhole Tournament: Saturday, August 29
Grand Hotel Labor Day Jazz Festival: September 4-7
Winsome Women @ GH: October 20, 21, 22
Be in the know before you go!
There are two ferry lines traveling to Mackinac Island. We recommend Star Line
as it is the most convenient location, directly across from the hotel.
- Our friendly dock porters will greet you and transport your luggage from the ferry docks to the Murray Hotel.
- Mackinac Island is known for its cool breezes - don't forget to pack an additional layer.
- It is Michigan weather so it wouldn't hurt to bring a raincoat or umbrella to ensure you don't miss a beat.
- Bringing a bike? A lock, helmet, and fenders are a must (fenders prevent the rain spray up your back). Overnight bike parking is available in the bike racks by Doud’s grocery store and Marquette Park.
- Known for its breathtaking, but rocky beaches - you'll want to bring water shoes.
- A Grand evening - jazz under the stars, ballroom dancing, a drink in the beautiful Cupola Bar; after 6 pm, the public is welcome at Grand Hotel, with the appropriate dress attire (Men - jacket & tie; Women - cocktail attire).
If you need help with your plans, just ask our staff - we're happy to help!
Where to play while you stay!
- Looking for that perfect sunset? A Stroll down the boardwalk is gorgeous at sunset with the Mighty Mac as a backdrop.
- Mackinac Island is a food-lovers dream. From grab 'n go to elegant dining, we've got it all.
- Enjoy swimming at British Landing and beautiful natural rock formations off the Arch Rock shoreline.
- Feeling adventurous? Fort Holmes is a treasure not to be missed. Bring a picnic lunch.
- Geocaching, anyone? The island has some great finds!
Looking for something unique just for you? From our favorite running trails to the best root beer float, any of our staff is happy to point you in the right direction.